Thursday 21 April 2016

It Never Rains In Southern California

Or so the song goes. Greetings from San Diego where we are less than 24 hours from being let loose on the PCT. I won't bore you with the details of the trip over, only as far saying 20 hours of travel takes it out of you. The only blemishes being the delightful border control lady at LA Airport - that's a joke as she was Miss Personality of 2016 - not. And my pack arriving in San Diego ahead of me on an earlier train - the heart rate went through the roof when I didn't see my pack on the baggage trolley but all good in the end. Finally a friendly greeting here at the amazing home of Barney & Sandy Mann who host up to 25 hikers a night all over their property. The photo below is of Barney while the back yard
has 3 catering tents for hikers. I got the best spot in the tree over the back complete with a fully treehouse with power, mattress etc

There is a real United Nations of folk here with  Japanese, Germans, French, British, Israelis, Swiss, Czech, Canadian, a Scot living in Alaska, Americans & heaven forbid, an Aussie :-).  Barney & Sandy would get the QSM or OBE if they were in NZ given this is all done for free.
I spent the day yesterday getting my phone switched to AT&T while sourcing extra gear. Also did the food run at the local supermarket. Spent today finishing some food purchases for resupply packs & testing out a fully laden bag with 6 litres of water - no water for the first 33 k tomorrow. Am okay with the pack weight but it will be pushing 20 kilo fully loaded so that's my house for the next 6 months.
I'm not sure when I can post again as coverage will be patchy. So if you don't see anything for a day or 6 I would hope I haven't been eaten by a rabid scorpion. Its a 7.30am start on the trail tomorrow with forecast low 5 high 25 so I think we can cope with that. Until then :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment