Saturday 3 September 2016

Day 134 - Autumn Arrives - Part II

Mile 2364.7 to Mile 2388.4 - 23.7 miles

Phew - a tough day up here in Washington. It was a repeat of yesterday but much colder and a lot more rain. We'd slept okay with a few showers & awoke to low cloud again. But this quickly turned to rain and remained with us all day. When I could get a view it was mainly forestry country again. But after Yakima Pass the last 10 miles had some pretty gnarly trail high in the Cascade Mountains with some interesting looking terrain - what I could see of it anyway through the clouds.
I've camped solo tonight as Tiptoe, Muffin & Pacer got way ahead of me & I didn't think I'd make what I thought was their camp before dark - I discovered later that they had gone all the way to Snoqualmie Pass to escape the wet & cold in the Inn there. I'm only 3 miles short of that so will make it for breakfast in the morning.
I had my phone/camera safe & dry in my pack all day so relied on my old school maps instead of GPS.
The maps have way points which I used to plot where I was - this section included us going over a railway tunnel. The way points are in the top right hand corner & the PCT is the red line.
We also walked under a number of high voltage power lines & boy , were they humming & fizzing big time in the rain!!
The night here is punctuated by the rumble of the nearby busy highway as people head away for the US Labour Day weekend....Weta


No comments:

Post a Comment