Wednesday 8 June 2016

Day 44 - Back on the PCT!!!

Mile 669.4 to Mile 676.1 - 6.7 miles

Well - actually you can add about 5 miles to that for the walk back to the trail from Highway 178.
Yep...back on trail. Word came through late yesterday that the PCT would be open at 6pm today - thanks to the 590 fire fighters on the ground clearing the Chimney Peak fire.
The day was spent waiting at KOA in 39 degrees which was made worse by 5% humidity.
By 5.20 pm Becks & I were snaking out way back to the trail - after convincing Officer Martinez to let us back in!!
We reached the trail at 7.20 pm & by 10.30 pm I had a enough of night hiking - stepping over scorpions (7 in total). Becks was in a mission so she soldiered on alone. Up early tomorrow in am for a final 26 mile rush to Kennedy Meadows....Weta

6 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your detailed accounts of life on the trail, Rodger. It gives me an insight into what life there is like for my daughter "Becks from NZ"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becks Mum!!! How cool :-). It's Monday 13th & I met Becks heading back in to the trail at Keersage Pass this morning. With me taking a zero in Bishop that means she will get 2/3 days ahead of me which will be hard to catch up given her work ethic!! You have a great daughter Ann who seems to have taken up more challenges than I would achieve in a lifetime.

      Delete
  2. Close to being a Maori delicacy Smoked Weta. Could you give us an some detail on the small stuff, what is your diet like between towns are you carrying a few luxuries like bacon or a steak or coffee. What about the gear you have used or seen any great successes or failures so far. What are you sleeping on a pad or self inflating mat and how good is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I show people a picture of a weta they can see the likeness.
      Diet - pretty basic really as I have to carry the stuff. Breakfast - Pop Tarts & Granola bars. Lunch - Tuna, Sardines, Pita Bread & peanut butter. Tea - Knorrs pasta or Idahoan Potatoes. Snacks - mainly Snickers, Clif Bars, Trail Mix, licorice, yoghurt raisins & electrolyte powder. I did get some apple & berry pastry cheap the other day and they were delicious.
      Gear - no real failures. One Planet Sleeping Bag is amazing. Six Moons Lunar Solo tent is working well. Salomon trail shoes have not given me one blister - helped by Thorlos socks. Sleeping pad is a Thermorest self inflation that deflates slightly if I blow any air in - warm air against cold temperatures I think. I'll do a gear report later in the tour by which time durability will have kicked in :-)

      Delete
  3. Just catching up here, Roger. This sounds like an amazing experience. Day after day....it reads a once in a lifetime. Catch you again further along the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Just got in to Bishop after some challenging days in the Sierras. Will update blog this evening.

      Delete