Thursday 30 June 2016

Day 63 - No Pass Day

Red Meadows to Thousand Islands Make - 16.6 miles. Distance from Mexico 923.3 miles

The normal early start was delayed until 9 a.m. as I had to catch the bus back up to Red Meadows from Mammoth at 7.15 a.m. I had breakfast at Red Meadows so it was a leisurely start to my day.
I ducked down a side trail to look at the basalt columns of Devils Post Piles
It satisfied my hunch that the area looked like there had been volcanic activity.
The scenery was spectacular in the afternoon as we worked out way up a ridge that gave splendid views of the ridge opposite the trail. With the Ritter Range resplendent & Shadow Lake hemmed in lower down it was great eye candy. The sharp jagged peaks in the background are the Minarets
I had planned to camp on the shore of Thousand Islands Lake but the campsite was full and breezy. So I worked up the trail 400 yards to find a good spot. That's the Ritter Mountains in the background

Otherwise it was a quiet day apart from bumping into Roller Coaster who I had not seen since Tehachapi.
So no passes today but two tomorrow - Island & Donohue which I will do first thing before heading to Tuolumne Meadows...Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment