Monday 13 June 2016

Day 53 - Finding Safe Haven

Mile 786.1 to Mile 788.9. 2.8 miles

Once again the miles covered suggests an easy day. The nature of the Sierras means that to resupply you have to deter off the trail significantly to source salvation. For this section that means hiking 7.5 miles off trail up & over Keersage Pass on Onion Valley Track - tough miles that count for zip on the PCT. At the car park you then have a 13 mile drop to Independence then hitch 41 miles to Bishop.
It was a vicious start to the day being bitterly cold - it took an eternity to get feeling back in my fingers. The climb up from Kings Canyon was a tough slog climbing 1200 feet in 1.8 miles. But check out the view on what was a sunny day
That's East Vidette across from where I was camped.
After turning on to the Onion Valley Trail the views kept getting better
That's Bullfrog Lake down there tucked under the Keersage Pinnacles. The body was a bit flat this morning and I struggled up Keersage Pass to eventually reach the summit
The rest of the trail was all down hill - tempered by the fact I had to climb the 2000 feet in a couple of days when I get back on trail
I met a number of hikers on the way down including Becks who was going to get 2 to 3 days ahead of me so I may be lucky to see her again.
At the car park I was lucky to get a lift with a couple who have a cabin up that way. I didn't have to wait long for a ride to Bishop where I shouted myself to a reasonable motel unit - the idea of a busy hostel not quite what I was looking for this time around. Did some laundry, got some gear & updated the blog. Resupply tomorrow & a general drying out & cleaning up of gear to get ready for a Wednesday re-entry...Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment