Monday 13 June 2016

Day 48 - Finding My Altitude Legs & Lungs

Mile 725 to Mile 747.9 - 22.9 miles.

On a testing day, the PCT had us questioning our altitude limits with climbs up to 10700 feet and 10797 feet (where I am camped short of Cottonwood Pass at 11145 feet). The early morning saw us battle mosquitos and gnats again (it wasn't advisable to stop). In the drop down to Death Canyon the trail passed through trees typical of the trail ahead
We also had further glimpses of the Sierra Nevada's ahead
In the climb up from Death Canyon I was minding my own business when a naval jet fighter scared tbe bejesus out of me with a low level pass - lucky I was wearing black undies to hide the stains. In a "wish I had a Go Pro moment" you'll have to believe me that the pilot had brown eyes & a scar on their left cheek.
At 10700 feet the desert in Owen's Valley looked a long way down
After dropping to Diaz Creek to collect water, the day finished with a long climb to my current campsite. The climb includes Mulkey Pass and Trail Pass along the way - pockets of snow appearing. It's 9 pm & no sign of Banjo who is struggling with the pack from hell - Monster II with his guitar, skateboard, crampons, ice axe, boots & a lot of food...Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment