Sunday 3 July 2016

Way 64 - Entering Yosemite

Thousand Island Lakes to Tuolumne Meadows - 19.2 miles. Distance from Mexico 942.5 miles

At days end & while making my way to the campground at Tuolumne Meadows I became conscious of the large mass of rock that is Lembert Dome
If I needed a reminder that I'd entered Yosemite National Park then this was it.
Earlier in the day I'd got an early start to climb over Island Pass at 10227 feet & then Donohue Pass at 11073 feet. Provided you could find the trail (always an issue on the JMT in snow) Donohue was not a problem. It was one of those passes that you did not see until late in the climb. It's up to the right
There was a half mile of snow on the drop down to Lyell Canyon which should have not been a problem but I still found myself granite hopping to find the trail under the white stuff. The drop to Lyell Canyon brought us back to typical meadow terrain
The meadow carried on for about 10 miles all the way to the campground. At the store I caught up with original group member Sebastian who I hadnt seen since Ziggy & the Bear. Goldfish & Topo were also due to arrive any day. Yosemite tomorrow with my Half Dome permit in my hand....Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment