Tuesday 2 August 2016

Day 101 - OREGON!!!!

Mile 1663.6 to Mile 1691.1 - 27.5 miles

At 6.10 pm on 31st July (my birthday) I walked in to Oregon
After 1689.2 miles I have finally left California...phew!! It's a big hurdle & suddenly you feel that getting to the finish is possible. Another thing is that in the last day we have managed to get the distance to go down under 4 figures
Sharing the moment was this small gathering
From left to right we have Zombie Dust, Petunia, Navigator (from Newcastle, UK), Digger & Pacer. I hadn't seen the first three for ages & ages so it's been good fun catching up.
The hiking itself has been a real battle today after yesterday's efforts. I hadn't slept well, my feet are in dire need of rest & I felt physically flat. It was therefore a long drag through the Siskyou Mountains - ridge/saddle/ridge/saddle etc etc until we crossed in to Oregon. An interesting area though with views back over where we had been. Also this area is disputed by the folk of what is called Jefferson County that wants to break away from California/Oregon. They also do not want the area to become a monument or reserve as we would call it. A few 100 yards after the state line, Pinnacle had set up a trail angel area with Tupac kindly allowing me the last beer as it was my birthday - that would have been a tough decision for an Aussie to make....Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment