Friday 26 August 2016

Day 127 - A Nero At The Abbey

Mile 2216.2 to Mile 2226.4 - 10.2 miles

Well technically the nero is Trout Lake but Tiptoe & I have scored the ultimate trail hostel at Trout Lake Abbey - a spiritual retreat that has a Zen Buddhist Temple in its peaceful setting.

They take us hiker trash in to their hostel accommodation which is the best on tour with comfy beds, lovely kitchen, sparkling bathrooms & set with this view from the bunkroom patio
It reminds me of some of those secluded valleys near Nelson but rather than Mt Arthur or Mt Owen we have Mt Adams - all 12000 feet plus of dormant volcano. This is a bigger shot from the driveway
As much as I would like to climb it you need ice axe & crampons so not happening. The farms down here have seemingly unlimited access to water for irrigation so I saw my first dairy farms since being out here. Trout Lake is pretty small but looks after the hikers including providing trail angels to run as back & forward from the trailhead 13 miles away.
Actually there is no Trout Lake as it was drained in he 1970s as an environmental action to do away with man made lakes for some reason.
Coppertone was back in action today when we came off trail so that was a nice surprise. The trail this morning has a gnarly wee climb which had a nice surprise at the top - I saw my 2nd coyote while out here. They are about the size of your family dog. We also spooked about a dozen elk this morning.
Back on trail tomorrow for the run through Goat Rocks & on to White Pass in 3 says.....Weta

2 comments:

  1. WETA-- Roadrunner here. Checking in periodically on your blog, I got SO close to catching you when you zeroed in Bend, but I had some shin splints when I came in and had to take an extra zero; now in Portland at the end of another double zero. But getting back on trail tomorrow morning (Saturday 27th), full speed ahead to Canada. Possibly able to catch you by the border, but could be too much distance now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roadrunner!! Tiptoe & I are both pretty sore and not doing much more than 25s so you never know. The huckleberries by the trail up here are delicious so that will slow me down further :-). I'll keep adjusting my rear view mirror to keep an eye for that Canadian hat...

      Delete