Tuesday 2 August 2016

Day 102 - I Feel Better Than James Brown

Mile 1691.1 to Ashland - 25.1 miles. Distance from Mexico 1716.2 miles

The heading refers to the fact that yesterday had left me feeling pretty down by days end because of how I had felt & a few people asking if I was okay. But the sleep deprivation, not eating properly the day before & the hot road walk chewing up my feet combined to beat me up. After eating well & a good nights sleep I turned that around a bit today - my feet are better but still numb. So I Feel Good as James Brown would say.
The days hiking was a lot easier with only one major climb that wasn't difficult and a drop of almost 3000 feet in the afternoon.
We also passed another milestone
At the top if the hill we had a nice surprise with these two ladies on the right doing some grand trail angel work
Karen on the right up come all the way from Donner Pass but is actually a kiwi. Her parents live in Bulls. When travelling towards Whanganui through Bulls there is a house on the right that says Mr Sharp sharpening services at the gate - that is her parents!!
Not far from here was Mt Ashland which was a nice area
At days end I hitched in to Ashland where I plan to spend two days recovering & planning. I haven't had a break since Tahoe so am keen to make the most of it. I also finally figured out what the bells were ringing out of the forest occasionally - they are cows with these great bells around their necks giving them all tinnitus whenever they move.....Weta

2 comments:

  1. Roger.
    We put bells on the mare at night when we turn them out. The Mules stay with the horses and we keep two horses tied up to ride out at 4.30 to find others. The bells are real handy but upset some hikers trying to sleep and a few complaints are received. Its a bitchy world out there at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals chewing on your gear vs bells - I'll take the bells any day but some of these hikets can be a bit touchy.

      Delete