Wednesday 6 July 2016

Day 66 - Half Dome

Once again I was off trail & exploring Yosemite. We did about 10 miles today. The main task for the day was climbing Half Dome which is the dominant feature here in Yosemite with its sheer drop on one side. Firstly, I was successful in climbing it. Secondly, I was truly terrified. The last 200 metres is insane. Quite how people are allowed to do this is astonishing (with our OSH regulations in NZ it just wouldn't happen). The gradient is so steep that you have to haul yourself up up with steel cables with these wooden planks placed as rests every 5 or so steps. Lose your grip with hands or feet & the consequences are deadly. And the granite is slippery....my first attempt saw me bail when I got stuck in a slow moving queue and getting no grip with my shoes. So I retreated to the small saddle at the bottom before waiting for a clear run. Then I just looked straight ahead at the granite and went as fast as I could. I certainly got familiar with my shadow. But I got there...

Coming down was even trickier as trying to go forwards was scary as hell given the steep gradient. So I backed down the cables....and every now & then I would work out how to let someone past going uphill. But I got back down....not euphoric or pumped or elated but relieved & exhausted that I survived. And they issue 300 permits a day for this experience!!!!
The walk down in to Yosemite was hot & dusty & took me past the Nevada Falls
The JMT then drops down to the Vernall Falls where hundreds of weekend holidaymakers were congregated. Vernall Falls are cool as the mist from the drop washes up against the cliffs opposite which you descend through for a refreshing shower
I'm camped in Yosemite Valley surrounded by granite walls & vertical drop waterfalls which is all quite surreal. No wonder this is an icon of USA. Back on the PCT tomorrow after catching the bus back to Tuolumne Meadows. All I have to do is make sure the racoons dont knick my stuff....Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment