Monday 18 July 2016

Day 88 - New Shoes

Mile 1350.4 to Mile 1379 - 28.6 miles

This represents my longest day of the journey although it is not as torrid as it sounds. My first target was getting to Old Station P.O. where my new shoes were waiting. I managed to tear off that 20 miles by just after 1.30 pm as it was mainly flat to downhill for the trip in. The going was through a major wildfire area & then a commercial pine forest. Old Station is really just a campground & small store so not much happening but my new shoes had arrived from REI. I farewelled the old ones after 670 miles which wasn't bad considered the battering they took from water & snow in the Sierras
After a break we continued on to the Hat Creek area which has had a lot of volcanic activity. We are actually camped on what is known as Hat Creek Rim with a view down in to the valley below & north to the Taranaki like volcanic cone of Mt Shasta. In the climb up to the Rim I turned around to get this shot of Mt Lassen
The evening has been completed by a full moon which looks amazing. Another 26 miles tomorrow along the dry Rim where we have to be careful with water....Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment