Saturday 16 July 2016

Day 85 - No Gain Without Pain

Belden to Mile 1302.9 - 18.6 miles

We knew it was coming. That didn't mean that it made it any easier. Over 11.5 miles we climbed almost 5000 feet to regain what we had dropped yesterday. Thats a lot of sweat lost & a lot of grunt & groan. But we did it.
Tiptoe, Mowgli & I farewelled Booboo this morning hopeful that she can overcome her planta fascia & tendonitis issues. We edged along the gorge to our starting point of the climb looking down at the Feather River with the highway on one side & the road in the other - a bit like the Manawatu or Buller Gorges
We'd got away later than normal so by the time we hit the bottom of the climb it was 10.30 am & very hot. I was bathed in sweat & conscious also of avoiding the clumps of poison oak. The first 3 miles up to Lassen National Forest boundary were all exposed due to a previous forest fire which made life uncomfortable - the sight of hummingbirds at work the only relief.
Once the shade arrived it made life more bearable although I made things worse for myself when I lost balance in a ford and got soaked up to my waist.
After sweating it out until 5.00 pm we finally reached the top of Frog Mountain where Mowgli was perched gazing at Mt Lassen in the distance
Not long after we want through the 1300 mile mark
I spent the last 3.5 miles to camp looking around me at all times as mountain lions have been active here in recent times. Let's hope "Garfield" is not busy tonight. Chester for a quick resupply tomorrow and also halfway.......Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment