Tuesday 12 July 2016

Day 80 - Mr Grumpy

Mile 1164.7 to Mile 1190.7 - 26.3 miles

Some days you just lose it. It's a combination of things and today was the perfect storm. It was cold first thing and once we got up on the tops the westerly wind was bitter. Maybe the fact that the Trail was consistently on the exposed side accounted for my mood. When the trail did cross to the east it was too hot - ah..
California weather!! The crunch came (literally) when for the 63rd time I booted a stray rock on the trail that caught my left big toe. The excruciating pain was followed by a profound list of expletives repeated verbally with vigour. This concurrently occurred at the same time as a hiking pole was hurled towards Canada.
The rest of the morning was like that - my right heel is split badly & bruised, causing me grief. The downhills were hurting my back. My pack wasn't sitting right. My hiking poles kept wedging themselves in rocks or finding numerous ways of falling to the ground. The phone coverage coincided with Antarctic like conditions. I was in a foul mood.
Having got that off my chest the day was largely uneventful. We got a nice view north on the edge of Mt Lacy
The snowy peak in the distance could be Mt Lassen ...or not.
We dropped 2300 feet during the day ending at 5238 feet. We also passed Jaackson Meadows reservoir which had a nice view

There weren't too many hikers on trail but the campsite had a good muster with Tiptoe, Mowgli, Booboo, 3 Bucks, Checkmate, Pinky, Natural & a few others on deck. I'd spend a couple of hours with 3 Bucks (from Chester UK) talking about Grimsby Town FC, English football, US politics , Brexit & all manner of stuff which helped pass the time.
We will be up and gone early in the am to get to Sierra City for breakfast and a resupply etc.
Day 80 means I am nearing half way time wise if I finish at the end of September. I'm still 130 miles from midway point on the trail itself but I'm happy with where I am.....Weta

No comments:

Post a Comment