Thursday 28 July 2016

Day 94 - A Trip to Dunsmuir

Mile 1493.9 to Mile 1508.7 - 14.8 miles

Re supply day. After a 5 mile jog to Interstate 5 highway I walked along to Castella where I picked up a lift with Forrest from Shasta City who explained that Dunsmuir was an old railway town. I liked Dunsmuir...a bit like any well cared for town in New Zealand. Amtrak still stops in the historic town
The houses were not too dissimilar to New Zealand
After a hearty breakfast and  "few" milkshakes I was back on trail at 3.00 pm thanks to a lift from two ladies going my way. The day had been stinking hot so I soon worked up a lather as the trail climbed almost 1400 feet to my campsite. I'm the morning I have 2200 feet to climb in the first 3 miles which is followed by steady uphill as we push over 7000 feet in the Trinity Alps. We are also skirting around Castle Crags
Over the course of the journey I have come across numerous Rock Creeks, Bear Creeks etc. Occasionally you get interesting names like the hairy ascent of Butt Mountain, the pristine waters of Poison & Sulphur Springs and the nearby delightfully named town of Weed. But on the way up this afternoon there was one that tops the lot....Burstarse Creek
Did I taste the perfumed waters?? Well....yeah...nah.
Oh...and I passed 1500 miles today....Weta


2 comments:

  1. Nice going Rog,
    Doesn't seem that long ago you were celebrating 500 mile mark. Almost Oregon you are smashing it. Wishing you a great " special day" coming up and hope you get a wee chance to celebrate.
    Dayse xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dayse. Staggered in to Oregon on 31st July so was pretty pumped with that effort. Even an Aussie allowed me to have the last beer at a Trail Angel cache :-). Washington here I come...

      Delete