Friday 20 May 2016

Day 29 - A Road Walk

Green Valley to Sawmill Campground - 20 miles. Miles from Mexico 498.2.

Actually it was only 17 miles as we had to go off trail for 13 miles to get around a fire damaged section of the PCT. So about 11 of those miles was road walking which was okay as you get to see bits of small town USA life. I reckon I could be a postie here as this makes the job easy
Before we left this morning though I took a photo of the 2016 PCT class signed sheet at the Anderson's - don't know who the random guy is in the photo
When we finally got back on trail it was pleasant going on top of a ridge in amongst trees which is weird given our proximity to the desert
When we did get to camp it wasn't long before we hit out sleeping bags as it is very very cold. Hardly got to 12 degrees today & the cold wind at 5000 feet had it very much in single digit figures. And we hit the desert tomorrow!!
Forgot to mention yesterday we were occasionally buzzed by military aircraft as Lockheed have a testing facility nearby while Edwards Air Force base is also close by - that's where the space shuttles used to land....Weta

7 comments:

  1. Caught up with the last week of yr blog- probably 100 miles worth. Don't know how you do it, but a great read. Apley Rd relay today - good fun and a course record for the elites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Looked like it was a sharp team. The miles just seen to happen I guess when you are walking 10 to 12 hours a day. I don't go fast but am able to go far.

      Delete
  2. Love reading your blog, Roger. Sounds like a really good walk...keep it up. You'll be very much "in the zone" now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. The "zone" is better some days than others. Often late in the day when it's cooler I find I can attack the climbs a lot better.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rog, Marie and i did the goat track today - took us all of an hour return. Thought of u doing that x10 every day. LOL. All good at home base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle chuckle. I actually think that to myself at times as I haul my sorry buttocks up another climb - so how many times have I gone up Te Mata this time :-)

      Delete